18 March 2014

No Bake, Date & Coconut Balls... Dreamy...


After the big pantry clean out of 2014, I found a lot of ingredients that I noticed hadn't been used in ages or just about to go off. Soooo.. Hello coconut!

Since the boys love eating pitted dates, google uncovered this combo in this gem! Easy as and actually the only tedious part is making the actual balls. I wanted to make them small enough for the little mens' fingers to handle, so I used a teaspoon to form each one. Also, beware, when I first started the food processor, it was full on! I thought it was going to dance it's way off the bench!



It's really cool to see what happens when the coconut gets mixed and pulverised and turns into an oily mess... My hands loved making all those little bits and slithering in the oil..


Toss them in remaining coconut and ta-da!! After some chatting with a lovely old friend, I'm am really inspired to try some crushed nuts to coat them, especially walnuts! How yummy does that sound?!



So success! Boys love them. I love them. Done. I can't wait to try our next incarnation of them!

Ingredients :
  • 2 1/2 cups desiccated coconut
  • 2 cups (200g) pitted dates
Method :


Place 2 cups of coconut and the dates into a blender or food processor. Process on high speed for 3-4 minutes, pausing to scrape down sides as needed. Remove from processor and roll teaspoon-sized balls. Roll in remaining 1/2 cup of coconut.

What variations have you tried?...
X

2 comments :

  1. Just made these and they turned out beautiful. My 2 year old immediately took care of a couple. Can't wait to enjoy more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic Natalie! I'll be doing some more raw 'baking' soon on our new blog! http://hellovanhulst.com/ Hope to you there! x

      Delete